Maulana Azad Scholarship – Dates, Eligibility & Other Details:- The Maulana Azad Education Foundation had initiated schemes to financially assist the meritorious students belonging to financially weaker sections of the Minority communities in India.
The Maulana Azad Foundation was established in memory of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad who was an excellent scholar as well as a distinguished political personality. He was a steadfast freedom fighter and monger of secularism.
This foundation functions under the Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India.
The two main Scholarship schemes that are being offered by the Maulana Azad Foundation are:
- Maulana Azad National fellowship for minority
- Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship
Maulana Azad National Fellowship for Minority
This scheme aims at providing financial assistance for integrated five year fellowship to the students from minority communities who are to pursue higher studies like Ph.D. and M. Phil. This scheme shall cover all the Universities/ Institutes that are recognized by the UGC under section 2(f) and section 3 of the UGC Act.
Scope of the scheme
This scheme will assist the Minority community students who are pursuing research studies. The regular and full time M.Phil. and PhD students (within India) will be benefited from this scheme. This will help to increase their employability and make them eligible for the job posts which demand M.Phil. and PhD as pre- requisite such as the posts of lecturer in various Universities.
Other Scholarships You May Apply
Implementing Agency of the fellowship
The nodal agency for the implementation of this scheme is UGC. UGC will duly announce the application dates for the scheme through various advertising mediums such as newspaper, portal etc.
Eligibility criteria for the fellowship:-
A student will be recognized as eligible for the fellowship on the basis of the following criteria.
- The student must belong to one of the Minority communities. The National Commission for Minority Act, 1992 has notified Muslim, Sikh, and Christian, Buddhist, Jain, and Parsi communities as minority communities. So the student must belong to any of these communities.
- The student must get admission and registration for M.Phil. or PhD courses by fulfilling the criteria as laid out by his/ her respective academic institution. These conditions shall be subjected to the provisions of the scheme as advertised by UGC.
- Those students of the minority communities who are selected for the fellowship and are getting benefited from it, can’t opt for any other Scholarship Schemes of the central/ state government or any other body like the UGC for the same course.
- The candidate should have cleared CBSE- NET/ CSIR- NET examination for being eligible for Maulana Azad National Fellowship for minority students.
- The student must have obtained at least 55% marks in his/ her previous course.
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship
This scheme aims at providing financial assistance to the meritorious girls belonging to the Minority communities. It provides tuition fees to the girl students of the minority communities who are facing financial hardship in the path of their educational career.
A student must fulfill the following conditions to be eligible for this scholarship scheme:
- This scheme is only for the girl students.
- The girl student must belong to any of the minority communities of India (Muslim, Jain, Buddhist, Christian, Sikh, and Parsi).
- The student must be studying in class 9- 12. So, the girl students of Minority communities who are studying in classes 9, 10, 11 and 12 can apply.
- The student must have secured at least 50% marks in her previous academic year’s final examination.
- The total family income of the student shall be within INR 2 lakhs per annum.
The selected students will be awarded Scholarship money amounting to INR 5000 (for girl students of class 9 and 10), and INR 6000 (for students of class 11 and 12).
The Maulana Azad Education Foundation is a distinguished educational institution of our country. It has taken many progressive approaches for the betterment of the youths of India. The above mentioned schemes have benefited a lot of meritorious students who are surely going to be the outstanding personalities ahead.